Sunday, March 28, 2010

Brooklyn Brewery Brofest

So last Saturday I went into NYC to meet up with my brothers for a serious Brofest(with a capital B). Reuben, David, Elliott, Reuben's roommate Corbin and I hopped onto the L to Brooklyn. By sheer luck and happenstance everything we wanted to do in Brooklyn seemed to be within 4 blocks of wherever we were... so as far as I know Brooklyn is less than a square mile.

We went to brunch at some little latin type place. I think Elliott won the best meal award with the pernil with eggs any style... I wish I liked eggs so I could eat it. Everybody elses food was pretty darn good though. We were sitting in an open window and some guy drove by twice singing something awful at the top of his lungs. It was hilarious but who drives through the same intersection from the same direction twice in ten minutes?

The Brooklyn Brewery was about three blocks from lunch. We all missed the brew tour since it seems to just be an excuse for them to have a bar serving their own beers. $20 gets you 6 tokens and each token can be traded in for a beer. We managed to get a picnic table which was nice so we could sit and enjoy ourselves. Seating was prime real estate in that place. Utz potato chips for a dollar a bag... that was a damn good deal. I'm not sure if Elliott managed to find anything he liked but maybe the Pennant Ale worked for him. We blew his last tokens on a glass of Brooklyn #1 that came in a Brooklyn Brewery glass. For 3 tokens I really would have thought they'd give you the whole bottle, but I guess there is some reason they can't. I don't think that glass ended up making it home with Reuben or anybody else.

Our next stop was Barcade. On the way I made a friend. His name was Naranjito. He was a pro athlete. Pops would have loved this guy. Naranjito could roll straight from one person to another. He was also an orange. Reuben apparently had something against him and rolled him a good two blocks down the street. As I said, pro. Barcade was a lot of fun, classic arcade games, good beer selection, and jerkey sold at the bar. Contra, robotron, and asteroid, good times.

We were only a couple of blocks away from some crazy delicious BBQ place and I have no idea what the name of the place was. This place has 3 long picnic tables inside and 5 or 6 outside. No seating arrangements, everybody fends for themself. At the same time that you're trying to find a table you have to arrange getting your food which takes quite a bit of time as well. We split into 3 elite teams. Reuben and David were tasked to get the grub. I got a gallon of beer (with 5 mason jars to drink from) and arranged to sit with strangers to get their table once they left. Elliott and Corbin were in charge of holding down the fence and making sure it didn't go anywhere.

So the BBQ was amazing. They didn't have any ribs or lamb shank left but the brisket has resurrected my hope of learning to make real BBQ. I found the beans to be a bit lacking but Reuben swears by them. I've been craving more barbecue ever since... I see a trip to Bobby Q's in Westport in my near future, who's with me?

1 comment: